The table chart is one of the most basic data visualization tools. However, in Infogram, you can take your tabular data to the next level with features like interactive search, data sorting, individual cell styling, images, icons, and links. Table charts are helpful if you’re using data with both textual and numeric columns.
At the top of the data spreadsheet, you'll find a toolbar with the most popular text editing features, such as text and fill color, font size and style, horizontal and vertical text alignment, and bold, italic, underline, and striketrough styling.
- Double-click the table or select Edit data tab at the top of the settings panel to access the data spreadsheet with the text styling toolbox.
- Make the selection first and then apply the settings. You can style an individual cell, row, column or other selection of adjacent cells.
To change the font style, letter size, and text alignment for the whole table chart at once, you can also do so in the Fonts tab in the right-side settings panel.
- Copy-paste style. To save time, you can copy-paste style. Select the cell you've finished styling, click on the paint roller icon (Copy style), and then click on the cell you want to paste the style onto. Copying style also works with multiple cells at the same time. Note that you have to copy style before each pasting action.
- Undo changes. Use the undo and redo buttons on the toolbar's left side to undo styling or data edits. You can also use the Crtl+Z / Cmd+Z keyboard shortcut to undo.
Note that the Fonts and Color chart settings in the right-side panel will not overwrite settings applied to individual cells.
- Select the cells you want to add borders to.
- Click on the border button in the toolbar at the top of the data spreadsheet and select the border type.
- You can also change the border color, line weight, and style, choosing solid or dotted lines.
Customizing table elements and properties
In the Table elements tab, you can activate:
- Row and column headers. Enable these settings to freeze the column header at the top and the row header on the table's left side to ensure they remain visible as you navigate through large datasets, whether scrolling vertically or horizontally. Also, ensure the Column header is enabled when using search and sort features.
- Data sorting. Enable sorting to allow your viewers to arrange data by value or alphabetically. Sorting only works if the Column header is enabled. Hover on the header for the sorting arrows to appear.
- Search bar. Enables the viewer to search for keywords in the table. Only rows containing the search phrase will be narrowed down and displayed.
Image height. This setting will change the size of images and icons that you have used in the cells. Read the instructions below for more on inserting images and icons into your table.
In the Table properties tab, you can enable:
Fixed column width. Enable to assign equal width to all columns. By default, the table chart applies the optimal width for columns based on the amount of text added.
Downloadable data. Allows viewers to download the source data in CSV format.
Inserting images and icons
- Double-click on the chart to bring up the data table.
- Right-click on any cell in your table.
- Click the Set image or icon button at the bottom of the menu.
- Choose an image or icon from the graphics library, or upload any image from your computer. You can customize the uploaded image size in the right sidebar under the Table elements tab and change the icon color under the Color tab.
Changing table colors
Expand the Color tab to change the colors of the rows, icons, and headers (if headers are enabled in the Table elements tab).
By default, the Stripe table setting is activated for all table charts, alternating colors for every second row for better data readability. Disable the Stripe table if needed, or change the Cell and Altenrate cell text color and background (fill) color to your liking.
Who can use this feature?
You can also add hyperlinks to any cell in your table. Your viewers can click the cell and be redirected to your URL in a new tab. To use this option, right-click on the cell and choose to Add/change link in the menu.