Who can use this feature?
With Infogram, you can create dynamic charts and maps that update live and in real time. We support two integrations for live updates:
As soon as you make changes in the Google sheet or JSON file, the chart or map it is linked to will automatically update, including embeds.
Create a live-updating chart or map via Google Sheets
- When in the editor, click on Add chart (or Add map) in the left-side toolbar and choose the chart (or map) that best fits the information you want to display. If you aren't sure which one to pick, try adding any chart to your project and double-click it to review the placeholder data.
Most Infogram charts can only display numeric data (line, column, bar, pie, bubble charts, etc.). However, some are designed to display textual information as well (word cloud, treemap). If your data source contains some columns with numbers and some with text, you will need to separate textual ones and visualize them in a separate text-based chart or import the data into a table chart that supports numbers + text inside one chart.
- Double-click the chart/map to open its data editor. Above the data table, you will see the data import buttons. Choose to Add a Google Drive document.
- Connect your Google Drive account. All of your sheets will be displayed in the list.
Pro tip: You can remove Google Drive and Infogram integration via the Google account settings. When you do, existing live-updating charts will lose their connection.
- Choose the spreadsheet with the data you need from your Google Drive.
- When you edit the information in your Google sheet, it will automatically update your Infogram chart/map. The chart refreshes data every 30 seconds to a minute.
These changes will automatically apply to your embeds and shared URL link.Note: When changing the order of tabs in a Google sheet, the tabs will not automatically shift in your Infogram project. Each data tab of your Infogram project draws information from the numerically corresponding tab in the Google sheet; therefore, you have to rename the tabs in your Infogram chart manually.
Create a live-updating chart or map via a JSON feed
- Add a chart or map to the canvas by clicking on Add chart or Add map in the left-side toolbar.
- Double-click the chart to open its editor. Above the data table, you will see the data import buttons. Choose the Add JSON feed option.
- Use this example to see how to format your JSON feed. To create a multi-tab chart or map, use the following example.
- Now, when you edit the information in your JSON feed, it will automatically update in your Infogram chart. The chart refreshes data every 30 seconds to a minute.
These changes will automatically apply to your embeds and shared URL links.